I love meatballs and this Keto Enchilada Meatball Skillet is one of my new favorite meals! My favorite part is the enchilada sauce, but I’m a sauce loving kind of guy. There are plenty of pre-made store bought enchilada sauce options that are keto-ish or you can make one at home, like this one.
I used a pound of ground chicken for these and rolled them out into 16 meatballs so each meatball has roughly 1 ounce of ground chicken. This may seem trivial, but I like it because it allows me more control over my protein intake as opposed to a “one size fits all” breast or thigh. It allows me to make two or more almost identical plates, with greater control over my macros.
You can also adjust the spice in these by adding more or less jalapeno or for the brave replacing the bell pepper with a spicier alternative.
PREP TIME: 10 MINSCOOK TIME: 15 MINSTOTAL TIME: 25 MINS
1 lb ground chicken 1 bell pepper, minced1 jalapeño, minced1/2 white onion, mincedHandful cilantro, minced1 tablespoon taco seasoning1/2 lime, juiced1 cup Mexican blend cheese3 tablespoons oil, for frying
8 ounces enchilada sauce (we use fronterra)1/2 cup Mexican blend cheese1/4 cup sour cream1 jalapeño, thinly slicedCilantro, minced
1. Preheat the oven broiler to high.
2. Combine all of the meatball ingredients except for the oil in a medium bowl and mix until combined.
3. Heat the oil over medium high heat in a 10.5″ cast iron skillet until hot. Add in the meatballs and cook 2-3 minutes per side until browned and cooked through.
4. Pour in the enchilada sauce and top with the 1/2 cup of Mexican blend cheese. Place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
5. Top with sour cream, sliced jalapeños, and cilantro to serve.
sat. fat (grams)4.3